Building muscle is not easy…
I’d venture to say that putting on size (without getting too fat) is even harder than losing weight. The fact of the matter is that when you’re trying to build muscle like Hugh Jackman or Daniel Craig did for both of their big movie roles, you MUST focus on compound exercises, and you must eat like its your job.
Unlike a lot of bloated bodybuilders, Hugh & Daniel are actually big AND strong. Hugh benched 315 and leg pressed 1000 lbs while getting ready for Wolverine. That’s no joke.
Hugh Jackman Workout (What He Did To Get Ripped…)
- Hugh was quoted in one of those celeb magazines saying that he was “eating around 4500 calories per day”. Eating 4500 calories each day can be broken down into 4 meals & 2 snacks. Each of your meals should have around 800 calories, and then your 2 snacks should be some type of shake such as peanut butter/bananas/ice cream/olive oil or bananas/strawberries/blueberries/olive oil. You can put up to 1/3 cup of olive oil in a shake without tasting it (I’m doing this now since I’m trying to put on size 🙂
- Hugh’s workout was nothing “fancy” or groundbreaking. He did lots of squats, bench presses, leg presses and barbell lunges. I would definitely add deadlifts, shoulder presses and some of the Olympic lifts to that. Olympic lifts are great for developing your shoulders and traps – two areas that will make you look bigger quicker than anything else…
- Hugh mixed in some speed work into his workout. Powerlifters and athletes rely on speed work every week, such as speed benching or squatting with bands and chains. If you don’t own bands or chains, you can work on your speed with things like sled drags, tire flips, and high-speed deadlifts.
Here’s what Daniel Craig did to get ripped…
- Daniel Craig’s workouts for Casino Royale got him pretty big & jacked. But for the sequel, Craig wanted to not only look tough, but ACTUALLY be tough. He kept pumping the iron, but also started boxing 3x per week
- Daniel focused mostly on circuit training involving the clean and jerk (one of my favorites), dips, pull ups, squats and the bench press. I would venture to say that you could do nothing but the clean & jerk and get a hell of a workout in if you’re strapped for time.
- Daniel actually leaned out a bit for the role and ate pretty similar to my weight loss diet. His breakfast was 2 eggs and toast. His lunch was salmon and veggies and dinner was a piece of protein, more veggies, and more fruit. He added in protein shakes after each of his workouts… Personally I’m not a big fan of protein shakes, I’d recommend chocolate milk post workout for anyone looking to put on muscle…
So what’s the point of all this?
Real muscle building like Hugh & Daniel did comes from eating a ton of calories & doing big movements. Whether you workout at home, or you workout at a gym you have no excuse for not doing the big compound movements.
Ignore what Muscle & Fiction tells you about putting on size, and stick with the big movements if you want to get a ripped body like Daniel Craig or Hugh Jackman.
Your wife or girlfriend will thank you 🙂
BTW if you want to get the ripped and rugged look like Hugh & Daniel, I suggest you pick up my buddy Zach Even Esh’s Underground Strength Manual.
This manual is 100% legit, and I use many of the workouts to train clients at my gym. Zach’s rockin a 50% off sale until Sunday night, pick up a copy now while its still on sale… Check it out here