Do you workout with your significant other? You should. Why? There are far more perks than you might think. Wondering what they are? Rest easy. We get into all of that with the best Valentine’s Day Workout!
This Valentine’s Day there’s no better place to get your heart racing than in the gym with your swolemate. If you don’t already work out with your significant other, it’s time to change up your routine and work out with her.
It will be fun and maybe surprisingly challenging!
Literally ask her on a pre-dinner, non-traditional date to work out with you. If you are wondering what the best Valentine’s Day workout would be, consider a glute day to help her form the perfect heart shaped butt. It won’t hurt you to focus on glutes for a day either. Women like their men with rounded glutes too!
Don’t know where to start?
Don’t worry. We got you covered. Here’s how to get the best Valentine’s Day workout with your loved one.
The Best Valentine’s Day Workout
Devote A Gym Workout To The Heart Shaped Muscles: The Glutes
“We share the desire for fitness and staying attractive for each other. We have a friendly competition on legs day because we like to compete for who has the best butt.” ~Monica Pedraza
These Are Targeted Exercises For A Perfectly Rounded Heart Shaped Butt
Many men hate legs day, but many women love it. Try legs day with your true love. Guys, you never know. You might just get addicted to working out with your woman on legs day. You’re automatically the spotter, which means you have the best seat in the house.
When your girl has the best squat booty in the gym, you must be beaming with pride when you are the one who gets to work out alongside her. Your girl might even motivate you to work harder on legs day.
Get Your Hearts Racing With These Booty Building Circuits
The Warm Up: Froggy Glute Lifts
Pre-exhaust your glutes with this simple and effective warm up. The name is as cute as your girlfriend, but this warm up is actually a real fire starter.
How to complete froggy glute lifts:
- Lie down on your stomach facing each other, each of you on a mat.
- You can use a soft ball like a Pilates ball or a medicine ball with give. Of course, you could use nothing at all for this exercise.
- Bend your legs at the knee and point your toes outward so that you resemble a frog. It is similar to your feet in plie squat position.
- If you use a ball, hold it between your heels.
- Keeping your forearms on the ground, squeeze your heels together and lift your thighs off of the floor in a slow and controlled manner. You should be pushing your pelvis toward the floor.
- Slowly lower your thighs.
- Repeat this motion for three sets of 30.
Your glutes will be primed for the rest of the workout ahead of you both.
Take A Trip Around The World Together
As a couple, you can complete around the worlds side-by-side. This exercise counts as a circuit all by itself because it is pretty intense. Around the worlds can be done weighted by holding dumbbells. They can also be done without weights. It’s up to you! Both parties will get an equally challenging workout.
How to complete the around the worlds:
- Begin by completing a front lunge with your right leg.
- Step back to the starting position.
- Step into to a side lunge with your right leg.
- Step back to the starting position.
- Finally, complete a reverse lunge with your right leg.
- Switch to your left leg and repeat the above steps.
- That counts as one round.
- Complete 10 reps for two to three rounds.
A Perfect Pair: Squats With Box Step Ups
Grab a box and secure a squat rack. The two of you can alternate exercises. While she is squatting, you can complete box step ups and vise versa. To make box step ups more challenging, you can hold dumbbells or use a weighted bar across your back.
Many men do not like the idea of working out with their woman because of the thought of constantly adjusting weights. With these exercises, there is little to no racking and re-racking weights. There is also little rest time because you are working side-by-side or alternating exercises.
Glute Bridges And Jump Squats: Kick Start Your Hearts
Both of these exercises can be done as purely bodyweight exercises or with added weight. Glute bridges are the ultimate exercise to shape your booty. They are great for beginners and are easily adaptable to make them challenging for those who need that next level training.
To complete a basic unweighted glute bridge:
- Lie flat on your back with your hands flat on the ground next to you and your knees bent.
- Push through your heels and lift your hips off of the ground. Push them straight up keeping your back straight.
- Squeeze your glutes at the top of the movement and hold.
- Slowly return to the resting position.
- Complete three sets of 10 to 20.
To complete weighted glute bridges:
- Sit on the floor in front of a bench with your back touching the bench.
- Have the loaded barbell ready.
- Roll the loaded barbell over your pelvis close to where your legs and hips join.
- Lift your body under the bar and situate your back on the bench for support.
- Lower the weight.
- Drive through your heels to lift the bar again.
- Squeeze with your glutes at the top of the movement.
- Return to the starting position.
- Do three sets of 10 to 12 reps.
While one of you is completing glute bridges, the other can get a set of jump squats in. This explosive move will work your glutes, hamstrings, and quads. You will build muscle and burn calories at the same time.
To complete standing jump squats:
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Lower your body into a squat position.
- Explode into the air while reaching to the sky.
- Land softly and already in position for the next jump, but do not stop in between jumps.
- Complete three sets of 10 to 15.
You can add weight by holding dumbbells in your hands. Your hearts should be pounding in unison at the end of this superset.
Here’s A Fit Couple Spotlight
Forrest Harrington and Lauren Peck are lovebirds and they have a lot to share about fitness and their relationship.
Lauren Peck says, “I won’t lie. At first, I felt ‘little’ because this was my first relationship where my boyfriend actually wanted to work out with me. He always tells me you look good; you’re getting stronger and that it’s… well… sexy! We high five and laugh which makes us more comfortable too.”
When asked about their favorite body part to work on together in the gym, Harrington said, “legs! First off, it’s her favorite day in the gym. I’m pretty sure we’d do legs every day if she made the gym schedule. Second, it’s the lifts that she excels at. I have to push myself so she’s doesn’t out squat me which makes both of us stronger.”
Some Rumps Are Rounded Using Cardio
It’s a fact: Some women are not as comfortable with lifting as they are with cardio. If this describes your girlfriend, take a trip to your local track or use a sled at the gym. You can both build rounded rumps and get your cardio in at the same time.
How? Simple. Use sprints.
Sprints: Have A Couples Competition And Show Some Love To Your Glutes
“The Glute Guy,” Bret Contreras, PhD, said, “A sprint activates 234 percent more mean gluteus maximus muscle than a vertical jump.”
Has your girlfriend always wanted a heart shaped butt that looks fantastic in everything from workout tights to jeans?
Sprints are the answer!
She would probably like for you to have something going on back there too. Booties are just as attractive on men as they are on women!
Sprinting does not just add muscle mass to one specific area of the buttocks like isolated exercise will. Instead, sprints build muscle uniformly across your legs, thighs and rear end, thus providing you with a fully developed posterior. Sprinting also firms and tones your derrière and burns fat.
Men, you get one more benefit from this high-intensity training: A testosterone boost. One study from The Journal of Endocrinological Investigation (2012) reports that compared to steady state cardio, high-intensity interval training produces more testosterone. The additional testosterone could be beneficial for the end of your Valentine’s Day date as well!
Get worked up with this sweaty sprint session that should last only 15 to 20 minutes:
- Jog a lap together to warm up.
- Sprint the straights.
- Walk the curves.
Go all out on the sprints. Really race each other or even clock your times each week to see if you are both getting faster.
If you have not sprinted in a while, you might want to check your form. Yes, believe it or not, there is a proper sprint form. If you are not sure about your form, go to YouTube and search for Jaret Campisi’s Correct Running Form for Faster Sprinting video. You could watch it together, or you can watch it alone and then give her some pointers.
These Are Power Couple Sled Workouts
Using a sled can be a great couples workout. Both pushing and pulling a sled is totally exhausting but very effective for shaping those booties and getting your cardio done at the same time. Once again, this will be interval training like sprinting.
Pushing a sled – Whether you add weight on the sled or not, your glutes are going to be on fire, and your heart rate should be screaming. To get the most for your glutes, get low. The lower your hands are on the sled handle, the more your glutes will be activated.
Pulling a sled – Brisk walking backward while pulling a sled really works your backside, both your glutes and hamstrings. Don’t leave hamstrings out on legs day. You need front to back development for the complete look!
Try this heart-pounding sled circuit:
- Ladies first: Push the sled down a straightaway as fast as you can.
- Walking backward, pull it back to starting position.
- Men, you’re next: Push the sled down a straightaway as fast as you can.
- Walking backward, pull it back to starting position.
- Repeat for three rounds each.
Want to add an additional challenge?
Use your sole mate as extra weight. Let her stand on the sled while you push her down and back during her rest period! Maybe she can push you if she’s already a fit chick. You can help each other out with some encouraging words while the other is working. Just use caution to avoid any injuries. By the end of all of this cardio, you will leave each other breathless (literally)!
Someone once said that, “couples who sweat together stay together.” If that makes sense to you, then you need to start working out together soon.
Working glutes on Valentine’s Day is the best workout for fit couples. It’s a win-win situation. You are both working towards building a healthy butt. You’re the spotter. You get to sweat together and you get to touch the aftermath – the nice booty. Working together through fitness will further solidify your relationship. That’s why on February 14th, you should combine your love for each other with your love of working out.
Nothing could be more powerful!
By Sarah Chadwell, CPT
Latest posts by Sarah Chadwell (see all)
- Summer Workout Plan To Lose Weight And Diet Guide - Apr 17, 2017
- The Best Valentine’s Day Workout - Feb 13, 2017
- Top Reasons Your Resolutions Have Already Been Broken And How To Get Back On Track - Jan 31, 2017