A stronger core and defined abs require hard work and consistency. A core strength training program ensures to stabilize your core, which then corrects your posture and improves your balance, according to research.
You can work to improve your core strength with some simple gym equipment. But, one essential piece of equipment that has shown quality results is an ab roller.
Ab roller is effective gym equipment that plays an essential role in targeting your core muscles. It is also a great tool that beginners can utilize in their workout routine.
The ab roller also plays a huge role in activating your ab muscles, and that is why it is considered the best tool to work on abs and core development.
When exercising with an ab roller, you need to make sure that you focus on your form and technique. Rather than rocking your elbows forward, try using your core and ab muscles to see a difference.
With that, you also need to practice safety to not injure yourself.
Benefits of Ab Roller
Ab wheel provides huge benefits that play a significant role in developing your core muscles. Some of them are listed below:
Less Time and High-intensity
You can get yourself engaged in a high-intensity workout with the help of an ab roller. You do not have to spend much time in gyms doing sit-ups or crunches as ab wheel exercises effectively replace them. The wheel thoroughly engages your muscles and requires less time.
Engage in Full-body Workout
Ab roller can also work as a full-body workout tool. It works simultaneously with many muscle groups such as abs, shoulders, arms, and upper back. With a high-intensity ab workout, you can get a massive burn.
Strengthens Your Lower Back
With an ab wheel workout, you work on strengthening your lower back. The wheel requires a correct posture, a stabilized spine, and a rigid body, which plays a great role in strengthening your entire body and abs.
Works On Joints
Ab wheels are also quite famous for strengthening your joints and ligaments. The wheel works to improve your joints’ integrity with repeated use, and hence, over time, your joints become stable and strong.
To gain the most of ab roller, you must be investing in the right place. Make sure to look for an ab roller that provides you convenience during your exercises. The DMOOSE ab roller has padded elbow support, which provides you comfort. It also has a wide wheel that easily glides on any surface.
It is also extremely portable, and with its handle, you can carry it anywhere. Another interesting thing this roller has is the knee pads. You do not have to look for a yoga mat as the knee pads will prevent your knees from injuries. The knee pads do not slide away and provide you with a perfect ab workout.
Ab Roller Exercises
Following are some of the exercises that are perfect for beginners and can be done with the help of an ab roller.
If you talk about an exercise that builds your core strength, improves your balance, and works on your stability, V rollouts are the best option. The exercise works your upper and lower abs and oblique. It is an easy exercise that requires focus and attention to form.
- Hold the handles of the roller and kneel.
- You should extend your arms.
- Now roll out to your one side at an angle of 45 degrees.
- Return to the original position.
- Now perform the same movement on the other side.
- Aim for at least 20 reps.
Ab Wheel Plank
A challenging version of a regular plank is an ab wheel plank. It works your quads, upper and lower abs, and lower back. With an ab wheel plank, you can work on your core development. It will also help to burn belly fat.
- Place the ab wheel in front of your body. Grab the handles and roll them forward.
- While keeping your core tight, extend your arms and come to a plank position.
- Pause here for some seconds. Ensure to keep your core engaged and back flat.
- Return to original position by rolling the wheel.
- Do the same for at least ten reps.
Ab Wheel Knee Tucks
Ab wheel knee tucks are an effective ab exercise that you can do. In this exercise, you can use your hands to stabilize your body while the ab wheel gets placed below your feet. It is a great exercise to work on your lower abs and core.
- Place your feet in an ab wheel.
- Come in a tabletop plank position with your arms right below your shoulders in a straight line.
- Now tuck your knees into your chest by moving the wheel forward.
- Slowly move the wheel backward and come in a starting position.
- Perform 10 to 20 reps.
Bird Dog Ab Wheel Rollouts
Bird dog ab wheel rollouts play a significant role in stabilizing your body and maintaining balance. It is also great to develop strength in your core. It produces equal tension on each side, making it extremely challenging for your core muscles.
- Kneel on the mat with ab wheel in front of you.
- Grab the handles and extend your arms.
- Keep your arms and back straight and core engaged.
- Now lift one leg and maintain your balance.
- Lower yourself down while moving ab roller forward away from your body.
- Extend your body completely with your arms straight and extended forward.
- Roll the wheel back to starting position and do the same on the other leg.
- Aim for at least ten reps on each leg.
Kneeling Single-Arm Rollout
Kneeling single-arm workout ensures to work on your back and shoulders. It also stabilizes your body and works on your balance. Along with that, it plays a great role in activating your glutes and core and is a great exercise for overall body strength.
- Kneel and grab the ab roller from one arm, which is fully extended.
- You should be in a tabletop plank position with one arm by your side.
- With neutral spine and core engaged, move the ab roller forward and lower yourself while extending your body in a straight line.
- Bring the ab roller to starting position.
- Change sides after doing ten reps on one side.
5. Kneeling Ab Wheel Rollouts
Kneeling ab wheel rollouts work on your entire core. It is a classic move that anyone can easily perform. All that is required here is the extreme focus during the exercise to do not harm yourself. Maintain a neutral position throughout the exercise.
- Place the ab wheel in front of you with your arms fully extended.
- Keep your arms and back straight and core engaged. You should be in a tabletop position.
- Forward the ab roller and lower yourself down into a plank position with your arms straight and away from your body.
- Pause here for a second, then roll the wheel to its original position.
- Do ten reps at the start and increase gradually.
Plank to Pike
Just like knee tucks, you need to place the ab wheel right below your feet. The plank to pike is an effective exercise that works on your lower abdominals and makes them stronger. Practice a safe technique to ensure your safety.
- Place the ab wheel right below your feet.
- Your arms are right below your shoulders.
- Now roll the wheel forward while keeping your legs straight.
- It will make a V with your lower body and torso.
- Pause here for a moment and return to your original position safely.
- Perform 20 reps.
Conclusion: Final Words
An important tip here that can help beginners get familiar with ab workouts is starting slow. If you cannot practice a complete form, start on your knees. It is better to start to slow rather than destroying your form. You can replace your usual ab workout with this ab roller workout, and you will see a difference in days.